Jersey City Waterfront
Enjoy stunning views of Manhattan and Ellis Island as you traverse Jersey City and Liberty State Park.
Jersey City is rich with history, culture and excellent food. We’ve split this ride into three parts, and there are Citi Bike stations along the way where you can dock your bike when you need a break or want to stop to explore on foot.
Part I: Hudson River Waterfront Walkway
The first part of your ride takes you along the car-free Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, starting at the Newport PATH station, and leads you to the historic neighborhood of Paulus Hook, a major battleground in the Revolutionary War.
- Grab a bike at the Newport PATH station and head south onto the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway from Pavonia Avenue.
- Follow the walkway south along the waterfront, passing the Exchange Place. Enjoy the views of downtown Manhattan to your left!
- Turn right onto Essex Street when the walkway terminates near the historic Colgate Clock.
- Continue along Essex to enter the Paulus Hook neighborhood.
Part II: Historic Paulus Hook
Paulus Hook is known for its restaurants, and there are plenty of delicious options along Warren Street if you want to grab a bite. Just dock your bike at the Essex Light Rail station (Essex & Greene Streets) or the Morris Canal station (Dudley & Washington Streets).
Once you’re ready for part two of your ride, pick up a bike and get back on Essex Street heading west.
- At the end of Essex Street, turn right onto Van Vorst Street.
- At Grand Street, make a left. (Traffic on Grand is usually light on weekends, but it’s still a major thoroughfare, so stay alert as you head west.)
- After about a half mile, make a left on Jersey Avenue, passing the Citi Bike station at the Jersey City Medical Center on your right.
- Continue south on Jersey Avenue. The road appears to end, but keep straight onto the pedestrian bridge.
- Once over the bridge, you’re in Liberty State Park!
Part III: Liberty State Park
If you want to enjoy the park by foot, continue straight after the pedestrian bridge down Phillip Street to make a right onto Audrey Zapp Drive / Johnston Avenue and dock your bike at the Liberty Light Rail station.
To continue by bike:
- Take a left immediately after the pedestrian bridge to hug the waterfront and head east with Morris Canal to your left.
- After about 3/4 mile, you’ll reach the Hudson River and the Empty Sky Memorial, the moving New Jersey monument to 9/11.
- The waterfront path now heads south with Ellis Island directly ahead. Follow the path until the boardwalk veers left. This is the closest you can get to the Statue of Liberty on land!
- From here, continue south to Morris Pesin Drive.
- There are a few options, depending on where you want to end your ride: (a) Take a right onto Freedom Way to head back north to the Liberty Light Rail station; (b) Take the Hudson Bergen Light Rail back to downtown; or (c) Ride back over the pedestrian bridge to downtown Jersey City and PATH train stations.
See the Liberty State Park Bike Map for more info.
Each part of the route takes most riders 20-30 minutes. Remember, the first 30 minutes of each ride on a classic bike are included in the price of a single ride and day pass. If you're an annual member, the first 45 minutes of each ride on a classic bike are included. For more information about Citi Bike pricing and pass options, please head here.
Try this ride
Pick up a pass through the mobile app and be on a bike within minutes!
You can also purchase a pass at any Citi Bike station kiosk.
- Newport PATH
- Exchange Place
- Paulus Hook
- Essex Light Rail
- Morris Canal
- Jersey City Medical
- Liberty Light Rail